Whitchurch and environs

Anna and I moored up in the Whitchurch Arm mid afternoon on Thursday 24th, with the help of a chap on the bank. No idea what was going on, possibly silt, but the stern did not want to swing in, so the good old centre line came in to play. We had a relaxed afternoon on board before going for a stroll around town, winding up at the Red Bull for dinner. Basic pub, excellent pub grub, decent prices, nice vibe. I was disappointed that the new landlord at the White Bear doesn't do food, shame.  Back to the boat for Anna's last night on board.

Next morning, I was too full for one of Anna's breakfasts! We went back into town to check out the market and replenish supplies then Anna packed up and we drove back to her car in Chirk. 4 days boat travel covered in 30 minutes.. It's been a great couple of weeks welcoming friends and family on board, and now a few days on my own until Andrew rejoins me for the Whitchurch Canal Festival . So I will not be moving far.

I went to Aldi that afternoon for some groceries but for some reason they had no oatcakes! Gluten free breads being pricey and variable in quality,  I get through a fair few of these, so that was a disappointment. So the next morning I walked over to Sainsburys: which was also selling gf pasta at the same price as normal pasta (usually it's at least double) and also the full range of pasta shapes. So you betcha I stocked up and left a bagful in the car boot.

Time to move on: up the Arm to the winding hole, back down and onto the main line, and then I was planning to go half a mile of so onwards. But then I thought, hang on, this spot here has full sunshine for my solar panels, whereas it's shady further along.. so I barely covered a half mile before stopping again .
Saturday night there was heavy rain and Sunday morning was fairly cool, but the promised sunny intervals soon appeared.  My main tasks today were listening to lots of Italian language videos, and reading lots of books so that they can go on the IWA stall next weekend. I also checked out the local laundrette and it seems they're not open until Wednesday.. better hand-wash a few socks then..

Bank Holiday Monday and due to move.  Gluten free friends had been alerted to the Sainsburys Pasta business, so I was back there with their shopping lists. Paused for a quick chat with fellow bloggers Debra and Mike on nb Rose and Gin, then time to rackle the lift bridge. 

On one's own,  it takes a bit of thought. You have to get right up to the Bridge and get off on to the side away from the towpath, because that's where the lift mechanism is.  There's a handy landing area and bollard, for tethering the boat, at Whitchurch so it's not as awkward as some. Then you lift the bridge, untie, jump on board, scoot back along the gunwhale to the back end, drive through, stop, jump off, tether.. it's a bit of a Faff.
 And then there was a boat behind me, offering to close the bridge for me.. Great, except that my windlass was still over by the bridge so I still needed to secure the boat. An intelligent bystander twigged, got the windlass and handed it to me. Many thanks!

So off down the cut for a couple of miles: destination Grindley Brook.  Water point, rubbish disposal, and winding hole.  All accomplished, mostly in the dry, and moored up under a gap in the tree canopy to get at least some solar energy.
I always feel slightly self conscious at the Grindley turning point, because the volunteer lock keepers tend to stand and watch, and you just know they're assessing your performance. 

The boat ahead is a trader, like me killing time before taking our allotted mooring for the festival: had a pleasant chat with then during the afternoon. Time then to settle down with the next book.

Wednesday morning  and time to potter the mile up to Whitchurch.  There are two narrow bridges along here and of course I met two boats at one of them. I reversed back quite carefully so avoid the worst of the gorse bushes along the bank but all went smoothly. The second boat was an ex Navy couple we've met a few times so it was a bit amusing when they went aground despite me giving them plenty of room. Easy done! So I gave a good old blast of revs to help them get dislodged as we went our ways.

Arrived at our allotted mooring for the weekend to find plenty of space, so was able to squint at the trees to work out the best sun exposure for our solar panels. Within 30 minutes two more boats had moored up behind me so the timing was perfect.

Now all I need is the return of Andrew and the Festival can begin :😀 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegvisir 2024

Mates Rates 21 - 24 August

Jolly up the Golly 12th August